In recent years, an increasing number of athletes from various sports and countries have been turning to a plant-based diet to enhance their performance. This trend is being embraced by well-known athletes such as Serena and Venus Williams, Carl Lewis, Cam Newton, Lewis
Hamilton, Kyrie Irving, Morgan Mitchell and many others.
Organised by Veganuary, this month’s BASIS Wednesday webinar is an exclusive opportunity for sports organisations, athletes, coaches, nutritionists and doctors to understand the latest science and research identifying the benefits of plant-based diets for optimal health and performance. Our speakers Athlete and Nutritionist Lisa Gawthorne, Registered Dietitian Claire Lynch and Nutritionist Rohini Bajekal, will cover several key topics outlined below:
• The benefits of plant-based diets for athletes including recovery, training, performance and longevity
• Practical nutrition tips on maximising muscle protein synthesis, enhancing recovery and fuelling active training schedules
• Myth-busting on hot topics such as bioavailability and digestibility of plant protein vs animal protein, training and the menstrual cycle, soya, cholesterol and more
• The key nutrients for athletes to be aware of and where to find these in a plant-based diet
• The role of the gut microbiome in our overall health and performance
• How to start including a diverse mix of plants on your plate: top tips on how to make the transition
• Why we can no longer be only concerned about personal health: the diet that supports both human health and planetary health
We will wrap up the session with an interactive Q&A. This is your opportunity to ask questions you have for your specific sport/event.