AoC Sport is the membership organisation for colleges, leading the development of sport and physical activity in 16+ education. We believe that sport and physical activity are essential components of college life, giving students significant advantages in education, employment and health. Our vision is for every college student to participate regularly in sport or physical activity. Our purpose is to promote, support and deliver college sport and physical activity.
AoC Sport, Pearson BTEC Sport and Physical Activity and Planet Earth Games have set up a partnership and are co-producing a project aimed at educating, promoting and advocating colleges in climate action, and sustainable consumption.
The project will be shaped on the five guiding principles of the United Nations Sports for Climate Action Framework in everything that we do:
- Undertake systemic efforts to promote greater environmental responsibility
- Reduce overall climate impact
- Educate for climate action
- Promote sustainable and responsible consumption
- Advocate for climate action through communication
- We want to develop an offer that meets the needs of our students and members within the means of the planet.
Over the course of the 2022/2023 academic year we will;
- Run a social media campaign to raise awareness of the climate crisis and potential actions that can be taken
- Collate and share case studies of best practice within the sector
- Invite colleges to pledge to take short, medium and or long term actions to tackle the climate crisis.
- Host webinars and share knowledge to colleges about key topics in this space.
- Promote a new Planet Earth Games – Colleges competition which uses gamification and empowers colleges and students to lead on climate action
- Inviting colleges to recruit a student climate champion to lead the challenges at colleges.
- Creating a new Sustainability in Sport Award as part of our annual AoC Sport Awards